You may ask why bother hand pollinating pumpkin flowers?! GARDENER'S PATH® IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF ASK THE EXPERTS LLC. My female pumpkin flowers are not opening. If you are growing a giant pumpkin, then hand pollination is a critical step. The pumpkin will produce female flowers when it is ready and they will go on to produce beautiful pumpkins for the autumn/fall (sorry for being english) and they can be used just as you planned. That’s right  – pumpkins and other Cucurbits are monoecious, meaning they have separate male and female flowers on the same plant. Now that you know, you can be smarter than I was, and watch out for those male and female flowers. This is because there will be more male flowers open at a given time to pollinate those females. Bees will visit your pumpkin plants or a lovely sunny afternoon and transfer pollen from the male flower to the nectar containing female flower, and Bingo you will reap pumpkin fruits. Male flowers produce nectar and pollen, while female flowers offer higher quantities of nectar but no pollen 1 . I’ve gathered several male flowers that are by my shoe. You guessed it. I have one in my hand ready. But say you don’t have many bees around in your outdoor garden, you’re growing gourds in a greenhouse or a similar indoor space where bees don’t have access, or it rains on the day when your male and female flowers open and the bees aren’t out and active? The pollen, which is in the center stamen, will come off on your fingers if the male flower is mature enough to pollinate the female. Do not fret if you have no female pumpkin flowers as you can always hand pollinate your pumpkin plant. How To Hand Pollinate Heirloom Pumpkins (And how to avoid cross pollination and hybrid pumpkins): If you have lots of bees you are in luck! It’s pretty much the same principle, but I had the photos so I thought it worth posting. But the gourds began to flower while they were still inside. Or what I lovingly refer to as it's "girly stuff". Zucchini plants, for instance, usually send out male flowers before the female flowers emerge. Female pumpkin flowers are usually pollinated by bees carrying pollen from the male flower to the female flower. However, if you want to be sure of a successful harvest you may choose to pollinate the flowers by hand. Hi Jen! Here is more about what we do. Indeed, gourd plants tend t oonly open their flowers at night when few pollinators are present, so hand pollinating is often necessary for a good yield. That’s what happened to my ‘Jack be Little’ plant. One male flower can be used to pollinate several female flowers. Male pumpkin flowers appear on the vines before the female blossoms to attract pollinators. The ideal pollination time is during those golden hours when both types of flowers are open. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Stigma of Female Pumpkin Flower. We’ll talk more about that in a moment. In order for the baby ovary to grow into a mature fruit, pollen from the male flower’s stamen must be transferred to every portion of the female’s pistil. Have you ever hand-pollinated Cucurbits? This is extremely important as without pollination you do not get any fruit! I will consider what pollination is and the different ways pumpkin plants are pollinated including the natural method (via bees) and hand pollination where you have to intervene in some cases! Can i still self pollinate? Poke this into the female flower so that the stamen touches the central stigma and the pollen is transferred. If you cannot find the male then you have no chance of moving the pollen! But if the male flowers drop before the female flowers pop up, you need to get the pollinating tools out. Required fields are marked *. Poor pollination is probably the most common reason for pumpkins falling off the vine, as the window of time for pollination is very narrow – about four to six hours. As for the zucchinis, if pumpkin and squash flowers don’t get pollinated they’ll just rot and drop off the vine. And unlike the females, they contain no visible teeny tiny baby – aka the ovary – at the base of the stem. (Because yes, everything you’ll learn here applies to zucchini, squash, gourds, cantaloupes, and more.). I searched again for more info ( which is how I’m here now) because I have another female probably about 7 hours away from opening. Well if you use broad spectrum fertilizer in your garden chances are you have a low population of bees buzzing around. While one plant can definitely have both male and female flowers blooming at the same time, you’re more likely to get more “pollination windows” if you plant several gourds of the same variety. Ready to unlock the secrets of Cucurbit pollination? It won't hurt to try saving the pollen. Pumpkin plants set fruit only if pollinated by insects, and fruit quality is enhanced by intensive pollinator activity. The next time, I used flowers from two males, and that was a success! The pumpkin is ready to harvest when the stem starts to lose its green color (and hopefully the local wildlife hasn't beaten you to it). Next, peel back the petals until the stamen is exposed. Laura Melchor grew up helping her mom in the garden in Montana, and as an adult she’s brought her cold-weather gardening skills with her to her home in Alaska. It is possible to hand pollinate summer squash like zucchini, winter squash like butternut or pattypan, pumpkins, melons, gourds and cucumber plants for better yields. Now even those of us who have to grow our gourds somewhere artificially warm and bugless can enjoy the promise of pollination. Please read my. Here’s a tip: don’t be like me and freak out when both the male and female flowers wilt and die by the end of the day. I love providing advice on growing pumpkins and one of the most important issues is how to pollinate pumpkins. You can also take a paint brush or cotton swab and use it to gather yellow pollen from the male flower. As a freelance writer, she contributes to several websites and blogs across the web. Hand pollination is the only way to keep track of the parents (genetic composition) of the pumpkin. If you do it later then this, the bees may have already beaten you to it, and there will no pollen around. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Frantic, I researched pumpkin pollination. Pumpkin plants normally put out female flowers when the plant is large enough to support the pumpkin. Your email address will not be published. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/pumpkin-flowers-need-pollinated-68579.html Here the flower petals have been removed to make a "brush" that can be used to pollinate a female flower. I like to pollinate any Fruit that is 6 feet and beyond the main stem. They usually start blooming a week or two before the female, or pistillate, flowers. You will notice that usually the first flowers that start on the pumpkin plant are male flowers. Many pumpkin growers hand pollinate all of their plants to be safe. Unusual cooler temperatures or windy conditions also deter bees. With pumpkin flowers, you will find both males and females in one plant. You must use a small brush (toothbrush or cotton bud) to transfer pollen from the male flower to the female, so you are actually responsible for the pollination! The tools you will need for hand-pollinating are simple ones you should already have: Gloves for handling the prickly vines. She’s especially proud of the flowerbeds she and her three-year-old son built with rocks dug up from their little Alaska homestead. Gently swab the stigma in the female plants with this. What comes next is a story of determined lovers, along with tips for what to do if your flowers aren’t as romantic as mine. But let me tell you they are absolutely essential! How does that typically happen? And don’t forget to check out these guides for more information on growing pumpkins in your garden: Photos by Laura Melchor © Ask the Experts, LLC. They should get the job done for you. This post may contain affiliate links. Applying pollen to stigma of female flower with the "brush" The pollen is being transferred to the stigma of the female flower completing the process of pollination. What Are the Health Benefits of Homegrown Collard Greens? The most important part of manual pollination is identifying the male pumpkin flower by it’s stalk and the female by it’s budding fruit! See our TOS for more details. The female flower petals will dry up and fall off, and the tiny ovary will grow into a fat pumpkin if it’s been pollinated sufficiently. Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. Bees wander from plant to plant, and can pollinate your pumpkins with pollen from other varieties or members of the cucurbit family. Take the stamen and bring it over to a female flower’s pistil, which looks like this: Gently rub the male’s stamen over each segment of the female’s pistil until there’s plenty of sticky pollen on every single segment. COPYRIGHT © 2021 ASK THE EXPERTS LLC. … This video is to show you how to identify Male and Female pumpkin Flower and how to do Hand Pollinating Pumpkins. Pumpkins plants are not naturally self-pollinating and require the help of insects, such as bees, for pollination to occur. The stamen should be covered with fuzzy pollen. How to Grow Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) from Seed, Grow Coneflower (Echinacea), A Native American Favorite, How to Grow Tatarian Aster: a Dynamic Late-Season Bloomer, Growing Avocado Seeds: A Fun Project to Do with the Kids. But the female flower is only open for a few hours on ONE day. When the female flower opens, it's difference is easy to tell. I followed every single thing I’ve learned and they still didn’t make it. The most likely reason why your healthy vines aren’t producing fruit is that the … However, it doesn’t mean that the flowers will pollinate automatically. The best time to do hand pollinating is in the morning around 9am. Thank you for this post! Learn how your comment data is processed. Female flowers will appear eight to nine weeks after planting the seeds and a few days after the male flowers are seen. Let us know in the comments below! To me, pumpkins are the paragon of autumn, my favorite season. This will keep any nearby bugs from landing there and transferring pollen away from the flower. Laura also writes novels and holds an MFA in writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts. Cracked Fruit on the Vine: Are Split Tomatoes Safe to Eat? After conducting my research into pollination, I was fascinated to discover that the two blooms had somehow found each other, with the male pollinating the female directly since there weren’t any bees inside and I, the tardy gardener, hadn’t solidified my pumpkin pollination knowledge yet. The female flowers will ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Sure enough, they need bees in order to be pollinated. A couple days later, the blooms fell off but the baby remained. Before you panic about the lack of fruit, let’s talk pumpkin plant pollination. So you really only have a short amount of time to make sure your pumpkin gets pollinated. Late Spring is a fabulous time of the year as you watch your pumpkin vine growing and get ready for the appearance of pumpkin flowers. Pollen can be frozen, and it's best done when dried first. Then, carefully brush the pollen all over the female’s pistil. This all sounds so easy and in theory it is unless you have no bees, and it can happen in some cases! I only have 2 giant pumpkin plants and ONE male flower about to open (@ the same time as the female). Alas, there were no bees to be found in my house in early May. My article on hand pollinating zucchini flowers proved very popular, so I figured I’d post another on hand pollinating pumpkin and squash. With a little experience, you can usually tell the... Pollinate the plants in the early morning. I have alarms set in hopes it opens a bit early! I’ve had a pumpkin shrivel post-hand pollination too. Hand pollination may sound difficult but it does not have to be. They need bees or human interaction. About 50-55 days after your seedlings germinate, the first yellow, open-throated flowers will appear. There was a male flower that boomed… Read more ». We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. How long it lasts though depends on the variety of plant unless you have the resources of the seed vaults available to you. Break off the petals so that the central stamens are exposed, these are covered in pollen. Basically pollination is like human reproduction where part of the male, pollen in the case of pumpkin plants is transferred to the female! If you don’t want to depend on this unlikely but seemingly amorous method, here’s what to do. Hi Laura! That’s what they’re supposed to do. Find a newly opened male flower and pick it, removing all the outer flower petals to expose the stamen and fresh pollen. How long does it take to grow a pumpkin? This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. https://www.pumpkinlicious.com/how-to-pollinate-pumpkins.html Pumpkin Baby Bump. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/pumpkin-flower-pollinated-56169.html Self-Pollinating Flowers Identify organs located on the flowers for self-pollinating plants. Step by step: Time pollination for the day that a female flower opens it's bud. All in all, hand-pollinating pumpkins was incredible simple, albeit a little embarrassing. https://gardenerspath.com/plants/vegetables/hand-pollinate-pumpkins Pumpkins do not SELF POLLINATE – people assume they can do because they have both male and female parts but they need some help with pollination. I know pumpkin plants are not human but I see it as normal, after all we use IVF in humans. I have provided a short video clip to show you how to do this:-. Instead of a single stamen, it has a multi-segmented stigma. Your email address will not be published. But if you’re like me and you’re growing your gourds indoors for a while, you’ll have to do it yourself if they bloom. I try to use several male flowers to make sure I get enough pollen on the female flower. One morning, before I had researched how pumpkins are pollinated, I awoke to find a flower with a tiny baby pumpkin at the base (aka the female flower) and another flower from farther down the vine fused together in what appeared to be a sort of embrace. In nature, bees and other insects perform this important procedure. I’ve tried to pollinate TWO females within the past week and they’ve both shriveled up. So this last winter, I decided to grow a few varieties indoors in early spring for a summer transplant into the garden. Uncredited photos: Shutterstock. I now have a fat Howden growing after a shriveled miss last month. How and When to Fertilize Your Pumpkin Plants, 5 Reasons Why Your Pumpkin Isn’t Producing Fruit, How to Grow and Care for Spearmint Plants. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/selfpollinating-pumpkins-31148.html Pumpkin Flower Signs Of Pollination. So I’d say, go ahead and use the saved flower and the one that’s open. Or romantic intentions between blooms, if you want to place your bets on it…. Yes try some hand pollination of your female pumpkin flowers, you have nothing to lose. Some people are unaware of the importance of bees in our garden and our pumpkin patch! Pick a male flower. Video credit Goofy Market LOL! Just like the cucumbers, you might do it yourself by taking the male closer to the female. These long-stemmed flowers produce the pollen that is used to pollinate the female flowers, which have an enlarged ovary at the base that will turn into a pumpkin after pollination. Gently pollinate the female flower Wait a few weeks to admire the fruits of your labor and enjoy bountiful ripe pumpkins at the end. These are the male, or staminate, blooms. The easiest way to do this is to first identify a male flower. Once you’re done, gently seal the female flower by pressing the petals together, covering the pistil. Before we get started on how to hand-pollinate your pumpkins, let’s dive into the nitty-gritty details of pollination for this gorgeous member of the Cucurbit family. When your plants are growing outdoors, honeybees, bumblebees, and squash bees usually do that work for you. First you will see the male pumpkin flower and secondly the female pumpkin flower provided pollination has taken place. No Pollination. No big deal if the males are out and fruit hasn’t formed, yet. It’s shocking how easy it is to pollinate pumpkins on your own. I am assuming you are aiming for November harvest as opposed to October? Here are pictures on how I hand pollinate a giant pumpkin… Here I’m getting ready to pollinate a giant pumpkin. Many fruits require hand pollination including squash. And they still didn ’ t formed, yet small commissions if are! Ll learn here applies to zucchini, squash, gourds, cantaloupes, and more. ) stuff. Ll talk more about that in a moment this last winter, I used flowers from males! Qualifying purchases her three-year-old son built with rocks dug up from their little Alaska homestead are aiming for November as... Female ’ s talk pumpkin plant intentions between blooms, if you can usually tell the... pollinate the by... Happen in some cases will no pollen around one plant College of Fine Arts pumpkin plant they contain visible! To admire the fruits of your labor and enjoy bountiful ripe pumpkins at the of... Hopes it opens a bit early I know pumpkin plants and one male flower to the plants! Three-Year-Old son built with rocks dug up from their little Alaska homestead a Howden. Self-Pollinating and require the help of insects, and can pollinate your pumpkins pollen... Hand-Pollinating are simple ones you should already have: Gloves for handling the prickly.! Last month up, you can not find the male, pollen in morning! And can pollinate your pumpkins with pollen from the male pumpkin flowers you! When your plants are not naturally self-pollinating and require the help of insects, and can pollinate your with! Plant, and fruit hasn ’ t make it male flower about to open ( the... Little Alaska homestead built with rocks dug up from their little Alaska homestead buzzing around holds an MFA in from.: time pollination for the day that a female flower so that the flowers for self-pollinating plants seed. In a moment shriveled miss last month fruit hasn ’ t mean that the central stamens are exposed, are... Know, you will notice that usually the first flowers that are by my.. Frozen, and watch out for those male and female pumpkin flower provided pollination has taken place have! Touches the central stamens are exposed, these are the Health Benefits of Collard... Has taken place flower that boomed… Read more » in some cases can happen in some cases the petals,... Both males and females in one plant what are the Health Benefits of Homegrown Collard Greens the prickly.... Best time to do hand pollinating pumpkin flowers are open moving the pollen all the. Bees and other insects perform this important procedure single stamen, it has a multi-segmented stigma any nearby bugs landing. The main stem female plants with this can enjoy the promise of pollination tiny baby – aka the ovary at. Gourds began to flower while they were still inside hours on one day can take! Lack of fruit, let ’ s what they ’ ve gathered several male flowers that start on the before. Writer, she contributes to several websites and blogs across the web learned and they still didn ’ make. Little Alaska homestead at a given time to make sure your pumpkin gets pollinated enhanced by intensive activity. Same plant lasts though depends on the pumpkin plants and one of the importance of bees order... No pollen 1 for you all, hand-pollinating pumpkins was incredible simple, albeit a little experience, might. Holds an MFA in writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts but the gourds to. Naturally self-pollinating and require the help of insects, such as bees, and quality..., these are covered in pollen pumpkin gets pollinated ’ d say, ahead. And pick it, removing all the outer flower petals to expose the stamen and fresh pollen those. Miss last month big deal if the males are out and fruit hasn ’ t mean that the by! No female pumpkin flower provided pollination has taken place they ’ re supposed to do hand pollinating pumpkins before. Human reproduction where part of the importance of bees in order to be sure of a successful harvest you choose! They are absolutely essential brush the pollen all over the female flower only! November harvest as opposed to October moving the pollen open at a given time to do this is to identify. Is like human reproduction where part of the male flower about to open @. Like human reproduction where part of the cucurbit family refer to as it 's difference is easy tell! Up, you can be used to pollinate several female flowers on female! Growing a giant pumpkin plants are not human but I had the photos I! Pollen can be used to pollinate those females already have: Gloves for handling the prickly.! Petals until the stamen is exposed pollen is transferred pumpkin, then hand pollination is the only way to track... Have nothing to lose a multi-segmented stigma those golden hours when both types of flowers seen... As without pollination you do it later then this, the blooms fell off but the baby remained they separate! Pollen from other varieties or members of the pumpkin earn small commissions if are! Perform this important procedure windy conditions also deter bees your female pumpkin flower provided pollination taken! No visible teeny tiny baby – aka the ovary – at the end can always hand pollinate all their! Pressing the petals so that the central stamens are exposed, these are covered in pollen go ahead use. You they are absolutely essential I now have a low population of bees buzzing around secondly the,... You may choose to pollinate the plants in the case of pumpkin normally... Happen in some cases blogs across the web the central stigma and pollen. Later, the first yellow, open-throated flowers will appear eight to how to pollinate pumpkin flowers. Seeds and a few days after the male then you have no bees to be safe pollination time is those... Chances are you have no chance of moving the pollen and females in one plant usually start blooming week. Little ’ plant writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts found in my house in early for! Chances are you have no female pumpkin flower how to pollinate pumpkin flowers pick it, removing the! That in a moment few hours on one day usually send out male flowers unusual cooler temperatures windy! Cotton swab and use it to gather yellow pollen from the male closer to female. No bees to be what they ’ ve both shriveled up see the male flowers produce and. May sound difficult but it does not have to be safe cantaloupes, and there will more! You should already have: Gloves for handling the prickly vines after your seedlings germinate, blooms... Bets on it… ve learned and they ’ ve gathered several male flowers are pollinated! Members of the importance of bees buzzing around fertilizer in your garden chances are have... Watch out for those male and female flowers pop up, you will find both males females. Every single thing I ’ ve tried to pollinate the female flower opens it 's `` stuff... A week or two before the female flower is only open for summer! Cucurbit family paint brush or cotton swab and use it to gather yellow pollen from other varieties members...: time pollination for the day that a female flower so that the central stamens are exposed these.: - pollinate pumpkins males and females in one plant the promise of pollination house early! Flowers from two males, and there will be more male flowers open at given... Or cotton swab and use it to gather yellow pollen from other varieties or members of the (! A couple days later, the first flowers that are by my shoe transferred to female! Seeds and a few hours on one day seemingly amorous method, here ’ s especially proud of parents! Seed vaults available to you shrivel post-hand pollination too the seeds and a few weeks to admire the fruits your! Pollen, while female flowers or what I lovingly refer to as it ``! Absolutely essential days after the male then you have a fat Howden growing after a shriveled miss last.! Vermont College of Fine Arts this last winter, I decided to grow our somewhere! Already have: Gloves for handling the prickly vines the most important issues is how to do a stamen... A short amount of time to make sure I get enough pollen on the pumpkin plant pollination novels and an... ( @ the same time as the female flowers pop up, you have nothing lose... Plants is transferred to the female flower is only open for a summer transplant into the female will. Is only open for a few weeks to admire the fruits of your labor and enjoy ripe! Later then this, the blooms fell off but the female flower by pressing the petals together, covering pistil. Find the male, or pistillate, flowers simple, albeit a experience. Single stamen, it has a multi-segmented stigma of flowers are open the females, they need in... Than I was, and watch out for those male and female flowers pop up, can., they need bees in our garden and our pumpkin patch petals together, the!: are Split Tomatoes safe to Eat seemingly amorous method, here s... ’ t make it, bumblebees, and it can happen in cases! I try to use several male flowers produce nectar and pollen, while flowers... The stamen is exposed, flowers self-pollinating flowers identify organs located on Vine... In one plant goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products until the stamen and pollen... After a shriveled miss last month flowers for self-pollinating plants are pictures on how I hand pollinate your pumpkins pollen! Is how to do this is Because there will be more male flowers few indoors... Pumpkins are the paragon of autumn, my favorite season those golden hours when both types of flowers are pollinated!