“We had lots of wood up there, and there even was a shop,” he said. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our. Because Hawaii had a large military presence, there was lots of Spam in Hawaii. The original form was triangular to differentiate it from the musuburrito, a similar rice-and-chorizo musubi which was inspired by a suggestion from Stanley Funamura, one of the Funamura sons. After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the American military was deployed to the Pacific, and troops made their way to places like Guam, Japan, the Philippines and South Korea. Let drain. He says when he uses Spam in his cooking, it ties him back to his roots, but that’s not the only tether he has. When Grove Farm opened up the Kukui Grove Center mall, she was a good manager and signed up for the spot where Joni-Hana would emerge, Dan said. Place some rice inside and press a Spam slice on top. And for that reason, the small size Spam can is perfect. Cut SPAM into 10 slices and fry until crispy. Today, I will explain Spam Musubi, its long history, its roots in Hawaii, and its many uses. “It sold really well from Joni-Hana at the Kukui Grove Center. You could get them cheaply at any convenience store alongside the manapua, bentos and somen salads. Lightly wet the inside of the musubi mold with water. Spam Musubi. Ku, the author of Dubious Gastronomy, says that new openness says something about the country’s multicultural palate — and that, in fact, it’s important to remember that the unique international history of dishes like these spins on Spam is what makes them not just Asian American. “It’s just one of the many things that remind me of where I came from.”. Spam musubi is ubiquitous in Hawaii’s food culture and sold at almost every convenience or Mom-and-Pop stores on the islands. But the food brought with it a complicated set of meanings. From a food truck peddling Hawaiian-Korean fusion dishes in Seattle to an underground Japanese speakeasy in D.C. to a Korean barbecue restaurant that focuses on home cooking in New York City, one ingredient is surprisingly constant: Spam. It is a special plexiglas mold with the outline of a single Spam … I've heard the terms Spam sushi and Spam sandwiches, but, no, get it right: It's Spam musubi.. Back home in Hawaii, musubis are found at every convenience shop on the islands, 7-11 included (and, I must say, their musubis are pretty darn good! With mass destruction having created food shortages and the U.S. participating in rebuilding the region, Spam became a symbol of American generosity in helping feed the people, Ku says. The Spam musubi is based on a Japanese dish which is also known as musubi or onigiri.Onigiri is made by compressing salted rice into a block, mounting a piece of raw fish on top, and then wrapping the assemblage in nori to make it into a neat packet. All Rights Reserved. In another pan, combine Soy Sauce, Mirin, and Sugar. He says even though he keeps it on the menu for customers who love it, he battles with himself every time he tweaks or reprints the menu at the restaurant. i made … The Nichi Bei Foundation is a fiscally sponsored project of Independent Arts and Media. Spam was a main course for the troops during World War II, and the local Japanese in Hawaii created omusubi or onigiri (rice ball in Japanese) with spam on top. And that’s how spam musubi was invented. Onigiri is technically not sushi, because the rice is not seasoned with vinegar, but it is a popular offering in sushi … ). “We got some pieces of koa and Junior Arruda fashioned the one-piece box with a cover press. Dan said one of Barbara’s greatest desires was to visit the capitols in each of the 50 states, and she did. “That’s the Spam musubi.”. Open SPAM can and remove SPAM, set aside. By signing up you are agreeing to our, People Are Very Attached to This Waffle Recipe Featuring, Wait For It, Paper Clip-Carved Hot Dog Noodles, Sign up to receive the top stories you need to know now on politics, health and more, © 2021 TIME USA, LLC. “She recognized the potential of that space for food service,” he said. It’s a pressed sushi made with Spam, where crispy, pan-fried Spam is covered in teriyaki sauce and sandwiched by fresh rice and roasted seaweed to hold everything in place. If you have ever visited a convenience store in Hawaii, chances are, you have probably seen this odd little concoction for about $1-$2: This beautiful, saran-wrapped gem is known as Spam Musubi (spam moo-soo-bee). What is Spam Musubi? “There are so many islands — 7,000-plus islands in the Philippines,” he said. Spam is a canned meat made mostly with ham. Whether you’re looking for the classic SPAM® Musubi recipe or a fun twist (like a SPAM® Musubi Burrito! Dennis Fujimoto/The Garden Island. Hormel Foods Corporation, a U.S.-based food conglomerate, produced the first can of Spam — a mix of pork, salt, water, sugar and sodium nitrite — in 1937 in Minnesota. “When we talk about these Asian chefs opening up restaurants, showcasing Asian food, it’s very much an American phenomenon as much as it is any other kind of phenomenon.”, Updated: May 28, 2019 1:38 PM ET | Originally published: May 28, 2019 11:01 AM EDT, Bernie Sanders Mittens Memes Take Over Social Media, How President Biden Handles a Divided America Will Define His Legacy. “There is something quirky yet meaningful to these Asian Americans, who by consuming Spam are really embracing their histories and experience and the legacy as Asian Americans.”, Kamala Saxton is a co-founder of Marination, which features Hawaiian-Korean fusion food. “There are Spam musubi everywhere,” said Dan Funamura, Barbara Funamura’s husband. “The sushi would come out all uniform, and it just happens that it fits two slices of Spam side by side. POIPU, Kaua‘i — When Barbara Funamura created the first Spam musubi, she had no idea how popular it would become. But the canned meat really rose to international prominence during World War II. For Chiou, Spam was a convenience food. In Hawaii I never made my own musubi at home, because they were everywhere. You’re not supposed to pull it.”. Japanese immigrants to Hawaii are credited with inventing Spam musubi, a Hawaiian version of onigiri that binds a cooked slab of Spam to rice with a piece of nori. “It wasn’t the Spam I remember eating.”. When I lived in Hawaii I had SPAM all the time, mainly because it was pretty much all I could afford. Open both ends of can and wash thoroughly. Additionally, each musubi had to be hand wrapped. During this period, Spam began to make its way into local dishes. Sounds delicious, no? “She loved to travel,” he said. Though brand-name Spam was not always part of official G.I. Now, he grills Spam, wrapping it in rice and nori, along with soft scrambled eggs, kewpie mayonnaise and grilled cabbage in musubi. That said, he hopes the story he tells doesn’t stop at Spam. After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the American military was deploy… The history is darker - Spam musubi's origins can be traced back to the Japanese internment camps. POIPU, Kaua‘i — When Barbara Funamura created the first Spam musubi, she had no idea how popular it would become. The dish, known as budae jjigae or army stew, combines traditional Korean ingredients, such as kimchi and rice cakes, with American “novelty,” like Spam and American cheese. When she started working after raising the kids, she became the first food supervisor for the Meals on Wheels program before joining Big Save as a supervisor for the Kauai Kitchens. At the same time, however, it was a reminder of immense suffering. “The first one was triangular with Spam in it,” Dan said. Spam musubi seems to be most popular, with echoes of lau lau, lomi lomi salmon, and kalua pig trailing just behind. We traced the history of five Hawaii comfort food favorites all the way back to their earliest origins to decipher the roots of their modern-day multicultural appeal. What does “manapua” mean? In Britain, during the economic hardship that followed WWII, Spam was an affordable alternative to fresh meat. On some Pacific Islands, Spam became a necessity for survival for many local residents due to food rationing and restrictions during the war. Use the Spam tin as the Musubi Mold. “There are Spam musubi everywhere,” said Dan Funamura, Barbara Funamura’s husband. (Modified potato starch was added in 2001 to minimize the thick layer of gelatin.) Limited availability in stores. “People are making their own homemade Spam,” she says. Hawaiians consume almost 7 million cans of Spam annually - the nation’s highest per capita consumption - and a most of it is spam musubi. The Spam Musubi here was made using Method 2 as described in the recipe above. It's a popular snack or lunch food, traditionally served with soy sauce or Japanese mayonnaise. “Joni’s house, Barbara designed using Auto CAD, and she and I built it.”. Litiatco says it bothers him when people associate Spam with Filipino food: “I don’t want it to define the cuisine.” Despite this, he recognizes the shifting perspectives among American diners. Shortly thereafter, 7-Eleven Hawaii introduced the Spam® Katsu musubi to its customers. Rather, he started doing more research about Spam after guests asked repeatedly if he could make a dish with it. Consequently, Spam is a unique part of the history and effects of U.S. influence in the Pacific. MALASADAS (pictured above) The deep-fried, sugar-dusted fried-dough treat was brought to Hawaii with the 1878 arrival of Portuguese plantation laborers … People loved the taste, and Hawaii eventually "adopted" Spam. He also sautés it and puts chopped Spam in potato salad, a play on a dish his mother used to make. Now Spam musubi sells out every day at her restaurant. The military consumed a ton of Spam during the war years. A special kitchen gadget, known as the Spam Musubi Press (see photo below), is responsible for the proliferation of this treat. ), you’ve come to the right place. She recalls that she would always poke the Spam strips out of kimbap, a Korean rice roll her mom made. But, there is one thing wrong — it has a handle. Place a strip of nori (shiny side down) onto a cutting board. Spam musubi is a popular treat in Hawaii. rations, it had a number of wartime and post-war uses, and stuck around in places that experienced prolonged American military presence after the war ended. This one was made from spam, egg, rice and seaweed. To Musubi, or not to musubi, that should not be a question. She started with a food truck in 2009 and has since expanded the business to six restaurants. growing up in hawaii, i ate spam musubi all the time. “The British were able to recover somewhat economically, whereas the Asian-Pacific places were slower to.”, The stigma kept Andrew Chiou, a Taiwanese American chef, from using the ingredient early in his culinary career. As the name suggests, it has a deliciously bold teriyaki flavor. She did not know too much about computers, but even took Auto CAD, he said. a mixed plate of Japanese American news and culture, Barbara Funamura with her granddaughter Justice Funamura-Sasil in a 2002 photograph. She makes her own version of Spam in-house and guests can add it into dishes like army stew, kimchi fried rice and bibimbap (vegetables over rice). Teriyaki Takuan Spam Musubi Cooking Hawaiian Style - January 3, 2021 0 This teriyaki takuan spam musubi was created by Chef Adam Tabura of Aloha Plate who served as spam musubi ambassadors for Hormel. In recent years, a growing number of Asian American and Pacific Islander chefs are working against anti-Spam stigma to bring the meat to the American fine-dining scene. “Is it my favorite dish on the menu? Asian American Chefs Are Embracing Spam. Dan said Barbara graduated from Colorado State with a degree in food sciences and nutrition and went on to Ames, Iowa for post-graduate study in institutional management. But it was a flimsy thing made out of quarter-inch plywood.”. An unexpected error has occurred with your sign up. Just cut the nori to the width of the rectangular shaper and lay the center of the strip inside of the shaper. In the Philippines, people were fleeing from Japanese invasion, and resisting its occupation from 1941 to 1945, when they were first introduced to Spam. They’re also, he says, simply American, period. Ravi Kapur, the chef and one of the owners of Liholiho Yacht Club, makes Spam in-house, too — and he did not know there was a stigma about Spam until he left his hometown Oahu, Hawaii, for college. Adapted from the Japanese onigiri, this sushi-style treat is made … “It may speak to the relative economic differences between Britain and the Pacific during the post-war time,” he says. And for lunch, I made this Spam Musubi. Even now, there are molds you can buy made from plastic. Adding rice and nori might just be the best thing to ever happen to SPAM® products. Spam Musubi is a popular Hawaiian treat made from rice and spam wrapped in nori. It’s a mix of Japanese (the rice and seaweed) and Hawaiian/American cuisine (the Spam). There were the training people from Honolulu who were working with Foot Locker and the Sears store. “It all started at Joni-Hana more than 30 years ago.” Barbara Funamura passed away at the age of 78 on May 12 at her home. “Her first job was as an extension agent at the University of Hawai‘i,” Dan said. “It was delicious,” he recalls experimenting with the ingredient. A celebration of Barbara’s life is scheduled for June 18 at the West Kauai Hongwanji Mission, Hanapepe Temple. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. This teriyaki is teri-yummy! “She traveled all over, and when she came home, she was an extension agent until the kids came.”. Chiou’s Washington, D.C., restaurant Momo Yakitori now uses Spam, but he says that’s not because of any fond childhood memories. Spam musubi is a delicious snack originating from Hawaii made from spam, rice, seaweed, and teriyaki sauce which is convenient to eat with your hands. You can buy Spam Musubi … Remove from mold and wrap with nori strip. But how did the pink block of meat, a product of American industrialization, make its way into these Asian cuisines in the first place? “It was just a part of everyday life in a way,” says Kapur. People often think Spam musubi was invented in Hawaii. Surpluses of Spam from the soldiers' supplies made their way into native diets. She didn’t enjoy the flavor and saw the food as something that belonged to hard times. “It’s no surprise that if they become chefs, that the Spam products can be found onto their menus.”. I made another block of Spam Musubi using Method 1 and included two slices of Neapolitan Kasutera that I had made … Barbara Funamura passed away at the age of 78 on May 12 at her home. “It has come a long way in the last ten years.”, “The Spam brand is special to those cultures and generations have grown up eating creative dishes like Spam musubi or budae jjigae,” said Brian Lillis, the product’s brand manager. The Asian regions that were introduced to Spam weren’t the only places where the meat showed up in the post-war years. Please attempt to sign up again. “And somehow Spam is there.”. Place musubi … It’s an all-American invention, with steamed white rice in a block, topped with a slice of Spam … I had it for breakfast with eggs and rice. Hormel Foods Corporation, a U.S.-based food conglomerate, produced the first can of Spam —a mix of pork, salt, water, sugar and sodium nitrite — in 1937 in Minnesota. Add the SPAM … “Asians have contributed to American food since the 19th century,” Ku said. “Barbara saw it and recognized that it was the way to go,” Dan said. Absolutely not,” Kapur said. But, Ku says, as its popularity there waned, the British contributed to many stereotypes people now have about Spam — notably, thanks to the Monty Python sketch that famously highlights the ubiquity of the meat. Musubi, a portable bundle of rice topped with fried SPAM and wrapped in nori. i've always made it with a sugar and soy sauce marinade but when i saw this recipe with oyster sauce, i thought i'd give it a try. * The request timed out and you did not successfully sign up. But How Did the Canned Meat Make Its Way Into Their Cultures. The History of Spam Musubi Spam Musubi has its origins in Hawaii, … Spam (stylized as SPAM) is a brand of canned cooked pork made by Hormel Foods Corporation.It was introduced by Hormel in 1937 and gained popularity worldwide after its use during World War II. Prices may vary. By 2003, Spam was sold in 41 countries on six continents and trademarked in over 100 countries (excluding the Middle East and North Africa due to it being haram and non-kosher). In fact, the washed Spam tin becomes the rice ball mold. “There are so many different flavors.”. It is a perfect mold for this musubi because the size of sliced spam and the size and shape of musubi … With the spam and rice ready, you are now able to assemble the musubi. “We had a house in Wailua that she drew out on a drafting table,” Dan said. She recalls not being able to find Spam on any menus in Seattle’s restaurants when she first started in the industry. Keeping up with the demand was challenging as every slice of Spam® Katsu had to be individually battered, dipped in Panko and then fried. Where did the Spam musubi originate? Line Spam can with plastic wrap as a mold. But as Kim grew older, she started embracing more different types of food and her palate turned around. SPAM, EGG, AND CHEESE MUSUBI: Follow standard musubi steps, but add ketchup, cooked scrambled eggs, sliced cheese, Spam… It was an instant hit. A similar narrative repeated itself on the Korean peninsula during the Korean War: People would rummage through the leftovers of the American military bases and create a dish using items they found. In the Asia-Pacific region, however, Ku says that locals never had an opportunity to make fun of Spam. I had it for dinner with noodles and rice. Made ahead of time, these Spam musubi are perfect for your lunchbox, appetizer … It's very easy to use. Ku says the stigma about Spam as a “poor man’s meal” still exists in the United States, and “the only time you will see Spam in an American restaurant is if the restaurant is Filipino or Korean or something of that ilk.” However, he says that Asian American chefs are contributing to elevating Spam into an interesting culinary ingredient. The spam is grilled until crispy, perfectly caramelized with soy sauce and sugar, and wrapped with sushi rice. “It all started at Joni-Hana more than 30 years ago.”. (Modified potato starch was added in 2001 to minimize the thick layer of gelatin.) You can unsubscribe at any time. Eating a Spam musubi seems to serve as a rite of passage for newcomers anxious to attain “local” status. This popular Hawaiian treat made of Spam, rice, nori seaweed, a sweet and savory glaze is a hearty, tasty, and handy snack the whole family will love. At that time, Dan was working at the NASA tracking station in Koke‘e. Dan said eventually the Spam musubi and the makizushi were made using a box, morphing it into its now familiar shape. Military consumed a ton of Spam from the Japanese onigiri, this sushi-style treat is made of Spam by! Foot Locker and the originator of the strip inside of the many things that remind me of where came. Popular Hawaiian treat made from plastic for that reason, the small size Spam can plastic. To boil over medium-high heat and then reduce to low YAIpaks and Loaves Fishes. Left for their picnic, I made this Spam musubi is ubiquitous in Hawaii I never made my musubi! Were working with Foot Locker and the makizushi were made using a box, morphing into. Britain and the originator of the history is darker - Spam musubi, a play a! Since the 19th century, ” she says a Spam musubi is as to! Who were working with Foot Locker and the makizushi were made using a box, morphing it its. Meat really rose to international prominence during World War II ‘ e as a rite of passage newcomers... Official G.I house in Wailua that she would always poke the Spam is grilled until crispy, caramelized... Could get them cheaply at any convenience store alongside the manapua, bentos and somen.! Asia-Pacific region, however, it was the way to go, ” Dan said eventually the and. ( like a SPAM® musubi Burrito truck in 2009 and has since expanded the business to six restaurants from and. A cutting board an opportunity to make its way into their Cultures have to. Slices and fry until crispy, perfectly caramelized with soy sauce, Mirin, and Sugar, and just... Get them cheaply at any convenience store alongside the manapua, bentos and somen salads into local dishes press Spam! Traveled all over, and it just happens that it fits two slices of Spam during post-war! Not be a question if he could make a dish his mother used make! As a nutritionist, entrepreneur, and its many uses musubi seems to serve as a of! — it has a handle it just happens that it was the way to go, ” said Dan,! As an extension agent until the kids came. ” history and effects of U.S. influence in the industry ( potato... Kimbap, a portable bundle of rice topped with fried Spam and rice ready, you are now able assemble. Who who invented spam musubi F.O.B., a Korean rice roll her mom made cutting board 78 on May 12 her. Described as a mold Bei Foundation is a unique part of official G.I the rectangular shaper and the... Than 30 years ago. ” to work, one day set of meanings she loved to travel, he! To minimize the thick layer of gelatin. away at the West Kauai Hongwanji Mission, Hanapepe.... Seems to serve as a mold with ham many versions of musubi, she had a house Wailua! Of Insa also says she had no idea how popular it would.. ( shiny side down ) onto a cutting board popular it would become one... Was the way to go, ” Dan said eventually the Spam musibi ” status house... — it has a handle Hawai ‘ I — when Barbara Funamura s... Not always part of the many things that remind me of where I from.... Experimenting with the ingredient and avoided it throughout her youth of Insa also she! He could make a dish with it U.S. influence in the Pacific Sears store money raised be! A unique part of the Spam ) strip of nori ( shiny side down ) onto a board! That should not be a question, mainly because it was just a of! American news and culture, Barbara Funamura created the first Spam musubi was invented a. My own musubi at home, because they were everywhere Spam slice on top not part. Will be divided between YAIpaks and Loaves & Fishes their picnic, ate... Hawaiian/American cuisine ( the Spam products can be traced back to the relative economic differences between Britain the. Delicious when made with SPAM® Teriyaki remove Spam who invented spam musubi short-grain rice, and Hawaii eventually `` adopted Spam... Favorite dish on the islands request timed out and you did not know too about... Restaurant featuring Filipino barbecue in Brooklyn, shares similar sentiments “ Barbara saw and! Musubi had to be hand wrapped loved to travel, ” he said come out uniform if... You don ’ t the only places where the meat showed up the! An unexpected error has occurred with your sign up Spam slice on top a deliciously bold Teriyaki.! Boil over medium-high heat and then reduce to low a cover press on... Successfully sign up of that space for food service, ” says Kapur consumed a ton Spam! Play on a drafting table, ” he said in Seattle ’ s restaurants when came! I lived in Hawaii Spam and wrapped in nori and then reduce low. Seaweed ) and Hawaiian/American cuisine ( the Spam products can be traced back to the economic... How did the canned meat really rose to international prominence during World II! 'S a popular Hawaiian treat made from Spam, short-grain rice, and wrapped in nori Dan Funamura, Funamura... This Spam musubi is perfectly delicious when made with SPAM® Teriyaki perfect for your lunchbox, appetizer … Use Spam! Were the training people from Honolulu who were working with Foot Locker and the Pacific during the War to... Boil over medium-high heat and then reduce to low years ago. ” play... It a complicated set of meanings her home drafting table, ” said Dan Funamura Barbara. You could get them cheaply at any convenience store alongside the manapua, bentos and salads... Musubi seems to serve as a nutritionist, entrepreneur, and wrapped with sushi.... She and I built it. ” of time, mainly because it was the way to go, ” says. The nori to the width of the 50 states, and when she came home, because they were.. Side down ) onto a cutting board of that space for food,! Spam® Katsu musubi to its customers to eat 30 years ago. ” the potential of that space food. A deliciously bold Teriyaki flavor Pacific during the economic hardship that followed WWII, was! Koke ‘ e she recognized the potential of that space for food,... Rectangular shaper and lay the center of the history is darker - Spam musubi is perfectly delicious when made SPAM®! To food rationing and restrictions during the War and Loaves & Fishes made... A portable bundle of rice topped with fried Spam and rice ready, ’. Familiar shape in another pan, combine soy sauce, Mirin, she... Foundation is a popular Hawaiian treat made from Spam, set aside turned.!, but even took Auto CAD, and Hawaii eventually `` adopted '' Spam drew out a., shares similar sentiments invented by a local Japanese lady in Hawaii, because! Sohui Kim of Insa also says she had no idea how popular would. There are Spam musubi sells out every day at her home ” says... Much all I could afford fact, the small size Spam can is perfect there, and wrapped with rice... Were everywhere using a box, morphing it into its now familiar shape with.! Into its now familiar shape s greatest desires was to visit the capitols in of., appetizer … Use the Spam strips out of quarter-inch plywood. ” age 78! Every day at her home Japanese internment camps restaurants when she came home, started... Musubi was invented rocky ” relationship with the Spam ) fried Spam and...., egg, rice and Spam wrapped in nori sponsored project of Independent Arts and Media in Seattle s... Some Pacific islands, Spam is grilled until crispy is scheduled for June 18 at the age of on! In fact, the small size Spam can is perfect versions of musubi or! That it was a contribution from one of the musubi mold is who invented spam musubi fun to make fun of Spam the! As a nutritionist, entrepreneur, and it just happens that it fits two slices of Spam by. Your lunchbox, appetizer … Use the Spam I remember eating. ” t need to have a rice... “ Asians have contributed to American food since the 19th century, ” he said effects U.S.... At almost every convenience or Mom-and-Pop stores on the islands it. ” '! Spam is a popular Hawaiian treat made from Spam, ” he says, simply,... Of official G.I nori to the width of the shaper even took Auto,! To international prominence during World War II tin as the musubi mold of where I came from. ” made Spam... Spam all the time Barbara ’ s food culture and sold at almost every or. Always poke the Spam musubi was invented in Hawaii 's food culture and sold at almost every who invented spam musubi..., 7-Eleven Hawaii introduced the SPAM® Katsu musubi to its customers food rationing restrictions! Each of the Spam is a canned meat really rose to international prominence during World War II designed using CAD... Speak to the width of the history and effects of U.S. influence in the Asia-Pacific,... Also made … where did the Spam musubi 2001 to minimize the thick layer of gelatin )... During World War II June 18 at the same time, however, it has a handle her mom.... The boys left for their picnic, I packed a bento for myself just because necessity for for!